Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Morning

I'm sometimes asked if I regret buying the Spread Eagle. My usual reply is - about three times a day, but only in eight hour stretches.

It's five to seven on a bright sunny morning and I'm up to serve breakfast to one of our resident workmen before getting ready for the other six residents at about half past seven. In between I'll start cleaning the beer lines.

Or I'll sit here and drink coffee and play sudoku...

I'm reluctant to say that this is the week when the renovations really get going because I'm sure I've said that every week since January. However, Finlaysons take over as principal contractor today and the manpower problems that have caused delays in the past have been resolved. So nothing can go wrong - can it? D**** (project manager) will be here today to check progress and discuss the finer detail of the work with Finlaysons.

The ceiling in the old kitchen has been removed revealing some very dodgy looking beams. Most of the timbers are staying in place only because the woodworm are holding hands. A steel beam is going in there, once the old hoist has been taken out. The new hoist, despite being called a microlift, is 100mm deeper than the old one. We're not installing it now due to the cost, but the space for it has to be left for later installation.

Real ale arrives from the Wylam brewery today. Because of low sales we don't keep a large stock (see previous postings) so if we have a couple of moderately busy days we sell out. We haven't had any ale since Sunday, but today's delivery is "bright" beer which should be able to go on sale immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home